Do you struggle with cooking your rice? Follow these 5 easy steps to perfect rice every time. These instructions were given to me by a fellow worker from the Philippines.
Don’t worry, you don’t need any special kitchen equipment (steamer or rice cooker to achieve perfect results). My personal choice of rice is Jasmine or Thai fragrant rice.
1. Wash your rice with cold water, rinse and put into a saucepan (washing will release some of the starch and stopping the grains sticking).
2. Add double the water to rice. Eg. 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water.
3. Season with a little salt and any other flavourings of your choice.
4. Bring to the boil slowly on a medium heat. Approx 5-10 minutes (depending on quantity, until the grains are dancing in the water).
5. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for a further 10-15 minutes without uncovering (now all the water should have evaporated).
6. Fork the rice to separate the grains and then serve.
You can try flavouring the rice once you’ve perfected this technique. Whatever flavours you add, will infuse the rice. Try fresh herbs like coriander, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, strip of lemon or even a green tea bag.
For more recipe ideas, visit our Recipes page, or subscribe to our FREE monthly newsletter Bitesize for recipes, reviews and cooking tips to help you get smarter in the kitchen. Just enter your email address below.